Friday, March 5, 2010

An Introduction

So here it is, the obligatory introduction post!

I'm sure everyone reading this already knows me, but on the off chance that a friend of a friend wanders in (or I become a world famous author) I thought I would do a formal introduction. My name is Vicky. I'm 27 years old and live in the Catskill Mountain area of New York with my husband Frank, my beloved dogs Autumn and Midge and our naughty cat, Oscar. I work in the environmental field and accordingly am typically a tree-hugger and an outdoor freak. I love camping, hiking, showshoeing, canoeing and just enjoying the outdoors in general.

My other passions include: traveling, which I do whenever I get an opportunity and can afford it -- and sometimes when I can't -- reading, writing and fitness. Well, the last isn't really a passion as much as it seems to have been a life-long concern and struggle. Actually, you could probably say the same for the writing too.

Which brings me to the purpose of this blog: I've made a decision that I am ready to work hard to achieve my goals! First, I want to get into shape and lose weight. I know I can do this, because three years ago I lost over 60 pounds for my wedding, but like so many others, I put back on every pound that I lost. This made me completely ashamed and discouraged me for a long time, but I am finally ready to kick back into gear and do what it takes to lose the weight again. Second, I want to finish writing and editing my novel. I know I can do this, because four months ago, I participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and wrote over 50,000 words in 30 days, roughly one half of a novel. Sadly, I have not touched the novel since early December, which also makes me ashamed and discouraged. But I am ready to dive in, reacquaint myself with my novel and finish the story that I love so much.

Clearly in order to reach my goals, I need to move forward from past losses AND successes. I have learned from my past mistakes that I can't rest on my laurels, nor can I wallow in my pity. Planning and ACTION are the only things that will make me achieve my goals, and I hope to use this blog as an accountability tool so that all of you can follow along to witness my journey and hopefully cheer me on!

Welcome!

1 comment: