Sunday, January 1, 2012

So This Is The New Year

Some of my friends have updated their blogs with a "Year in Review" type post and it inspired me to do the same. 2011 was a big year -- I hope I can remember everything! Thank goodness for my Google Calendar. Here's a summary, month by month.

January - I rang in the new year at my in-law's house. Somehow, despite the fact that I was almost 9 months pregnant, I was the only one who stayed awake until midnight. Frank and I took a birthing class as the hospital --I later wound up giving birth in the same room that we toured in that class. I had an eye check up because Midge ate my glasses. The Patriots clinched the playoffs and then suffered a devastating loss to the Jets in the first round. We found out that miraculously my cousin Sarah who had been trying for years was pregnant! As soon as I found out I just knew she would have the same gender baby that I did. I had a feeling they would both be girls. Also found out my friend Allison was pregnant with her second. Stephanie came down to spend the weekend and we did a lot of cleaning and cooked a bunch of meals for the freezer. I had my baby shower at work.

February - Early in the month Frank bought a picked up his Fiesta. I took a Civil Service exam 10 days before my due date (and got a 95, thankyouverymuch). I took a breastfeeding class at the hospital and started maternity leave. Stephanie went to California to see Bobby home from Afghanistan. My due date came and went. Frank and I went out for our customary Valentine's Day sushi. I enjoyed my last week of freedom and relaxation for probably the next 15 or so years. The day of my sister's baby shower (which I wisely skipped) I went into labor and the next day, February 20th, as Steph flew back across the country, I delivered my sweet Laura Violet. Life changed in ways that, despite years of preparation, I could not have anticipated. The rest of the month was a sweet blur of learning and love.

March - I slowly gained my footing as a mother. Frank returned to work. We celebrated St. Patrick's day with my family. I left Laura for the first time to go to a belated birthday dinner with Frank -- in a restaurant that didn't get cell phone service. We all survived and Frank and I enjoyed a lovely meal, complete with a Super Moon. I ventured from the house with Laura by myself for the first time for a playdate with Kyla, Scarlett and Hadley at Colonie Center. I started the Farseer Trilogy, and actually was able to read quite a bit while Laura napped or nursed. My Mom, who came down at least once a week throughout my maternity leave left for South Carolina. My Dad baby sat while I went into the dentist after a filling fell out. My dear friend Hayle found out that her beloved mutt, Brisby, had cancer and had to be put to sleep.

April - We took Laura to a charity spaghetti dinner with my extended family. I took Laura into work. I took Laura to meet Mim. I took Laura to visit Eleanore. My nephew was born on the 11th. I had my follow up OB visit and everything was all clear. Steph came down to spend a couple of days and baby sat while I took the animals to the vet. We had Easter at Uncle Sam's. Allison found out that she was having another boy. We met with Felicia, who would soon because our beloved babysitter, for the first time. Hayle came up for the weekend to meet Laura.

May - Sarah found out she was having a girl (I love it when I'm right)! I started back to work one day per week while my Mom babysat. I celebrated my very first Mother's Day. Laura had very first weekend at camp Memorial Day weekend, followed by her first day with Felicia that Tuesday. I went back to work three days per week. We went to KerriAnn's Prom walk in. Sarah P came to visit and meet Laura.

June - We went with my parents to the village-wide garage sale in the tiny village that my Mom grew up in. She loved showing off the baby. Frank and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary at the Melting Pot and I celebrated my 29th birthday with my cousins at the Barge. Bobby came home to visit. The cousins met to start planning Sarah's baby shower. We celebrated my youngest cousin graduating from high school. We got Central Air installed, and thank goodness because it was a hot summer.

July - I went to NYC for an amazing day with Hayle and Becky (and my pump). I left Laura overnight for the first time on a work trip; we all survived. It was amazing to get a solid night's sleep!

August - Laura was baptized and Steph and Ralph were officially named Godparents. Kate and I started a writing workshop to share out work. I did another overnight for work. Laura turned 6 months. We had Sarah's baby shower. My Mom and I took Laura to the Schaghticoke fair. We set up our very own camper at camp -- the same one that my parents had used when I was a baby.

September - We had professional family portraits taken. Laura attended her first clam steam. We survived Hurricane Irene with only 12 hours of power loss, although there were tons of trees down out back. I attended Nick and Melissa's wedding, Heather's Baby Shower and Chrissy and Len's wedding. Stephanie got mono. We helped her celebrate her 30th birthday at Bomber's where we met her new boyfriend, who I instantly liked. Allison's son Gavin Ryan and Sarah's daughter Karyn Rose were born! I was able to visit Sarah in the hospital. Karyn had so much hair, almost as much as Laura!

October - Kate came to visit and meet Laura! Sarah P. came to visit again with Lulu and Zeppelin. Laura had her first trip to NYC to visit Aunt Hayle. I went to KerriAnn's fashion show. Steph and Josh came down to watch football with us. Steph and I went to see Weird Al in concert. Laura was an Octopus for Halloween and we visited Eleanore, my work, Frank's work and Steph's work (with cousin Karyn).

November - Went to a jewelry party at Tiff's. We celebrated Laura's first Thanksgiving.

December - Frank's boss scared me to death by calling me and saying that he was in the ER with chest pains. Thank God it was only a torn trapezius muscle. Steph and I had another successful Bake Fest (we made a little over 500 cookies, plus nut candies). Bobby came home for Christmas. We celebrated Laura's first Christmas. I finally finished the Tawny Man Trilogy (remember I started the books in March), with much bawling.

Whew! Writing all that out makes me realize what a busy year we've had! I had intended to come up with some resolutions, but I think I'll have to save that for another post on another day. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment